February 13, 2017
Arlanda Williams, President NDCO
Joe Buscaino, President DMO
Dear President Williams and Buscaino -
The work that you do is vital to serving the American people and strengthening our Democratic Party. I am firmly committed to the growth of the DMO and NDCO and the number of Democrats elected to serve in county and municipal positions across the country.
I have shown the commitment to municipal and county officials by helping elect hundreds across the country, raising resources for state parties and attending the Winter DMO meeting in Pittsburgh as the only DNC Chair candidate to personally attend.
I believe Democrats win when we empower the grassroots and fight for the issues that improve people’s lives. This election cycle, Democrats failed to motivate enough people to show up at the ballot box. Since 2008, Democrats have lost thousands of seats from city council to governors. We can and must elect more Democrats at all levels.
We must energize Democratic activists across the country and give them the tools to build the Party from the bottom up. Beyond a 50-state strategy, we need a 3,143-county strategy and we must harness your experience and give you a meaningful voice as we set the direction for the Party. In a DNC Chair, you need a partner and an advocate who will ensure you have the resources you need to win.
My platform has a handful of critical components relevant to the work of the DMO AND NDCO. Those are:
COLLABORATIVE CAMPAIGNING: Work with party committees including DMO, DLCC, NDCO, NAGA, NASS, DGA, DCCC and DSCC to align priorities, reduce redundancy, improve operations, and build robust coordinated tables.
STRENGTHENED STATE AND LOCAL PARTIES: Increase SPP funding to a base of $10,000/month, with additional dedicated funding available for organizations to apply for to build programs for core work, with metrics for success.
COST SHARING: Work to create national cost sharing and bulk purchasing opportunities.
STATE AND LOCAL TOOLKIT: The DNC should provide additional resources to help Democrats succeed, including: planning, communications, research, technology, fundraising, vendors and surrogates.
You can find my full platform online at keithforDNC.org/platform. This platform was finalized after my meeting with the DMO in Pittsburgh and a large basis for the development of that platform stemmed from our conversations.
In addition to the commitments I have made in my platform, I want to affirm my commitment to the following:
● Provide a Municipal and Counties Campaign Director whose full-time job is to get candidates elected to municipal and county offices.
● Develop a comprehensive list of municipal and county elected officials.
● Provide annual grants of $150,000 for the purposes of building infrastructure and staffing to help get Democrats elected.
● Substantially increase the number of staff across the country who are dedicated to electing candidates to county and municipal offices with a goal of getting to one staffer per state.
● Campaign and media trainings across the country with the purpose of training local elected officials and candidates
● Creation of a Local Elected Officials Caucus
● Retain the DMO and NDCO positions on the DNC
● Recruit top tier surrogates and speakers to DMO and NDCO events
● Provide space and opportunity for NDCO and DMO leaders and members to convene during DNC meetings (this language is different than your request in deference and respect for your ability to convene your own organizations but acknowledging the needed support of the DNC leadership)
All of this work will be done in coordination and collaboration with the leadership, staff and membership of the NDCO, DMO and state parties.
I hope that this is a start to a meaningful and sustained partnership that invests in our local elected officials across the country.
Member of Congress
Candidate, DNC Chair